Freaky Gear: SMART Hybrid

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 2 18:40:05 CEST 2008

I had one of the first Toyta Prius' in the US.  It had pleanty of
space for a family of 4.  I averaged about 45m/g in town and 40m/g on
the highway.  I sold it to my sister recently as she has a long
commute, and I now walk 2 blocks to a train station and my wife works
at home..

Hybrids are actually a very smart way of doing things.  Purely
electric cars that recharge often end up burning MORE fossil fuel
because the power coming into homes is generated by burning coal.  The
downside, unfortunately, is that the batteries are an environmental
disaster waiting to happen in the case of a severe accident (though
you would have to be hit pretty hard to rupture them because of where
they are located) and also require that the cars be recycled properly
when they reach the end of their lives.

The new Prius gets 60m/g I here.  Tempting with gas prices starting to
inch up to $5.00 per gallon.

Tony