midi slider box kit thingies

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 30 03:20:08 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Paul Maddox
<paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net> wrote:
> Tony,
>
>  1st question, does the ATC1 support MIDI for all parameters?
> Most will support the common ones 'filter cut off', lfo rate, etc. But few
> support *all* parameters.

Yes it does.  Most by simple CC.  A few require SYSEX, but all are available.

>  2ndly, If it does, why re-invent the wheel? Get yourself one of those
> behringer midi fader things (BCR2000, etc) and set it up to work with the
> ATC 1?
>
> Paul

Ill answer both yours and Niall's questions at the same time...

I loath 'generalized' interfaces.   Some parameters do well as
sliders, other do well as pots, and some as switches/selectors.  Using
a slider to control an on/off parameter is a waste.  using a slider to
control a parameter with 3 or 4 values is a waste and hard to remember
what is what at each value location.

I also hate hate HATE paging.  If I have 73 parameters and 8 sliders
(like on my SAC 2.2) then thats a LOT of paging to find the right
parameter.  I might as well be using a two line LCD and cursor keys at
that point..

What I am looking for is 1 knob = 1 function.  No shift, no pageing,
no remembering that the filter envelope are the 4 sliders on page 4
two in from the left.  I dont want to remember that the 5 slider on
page 2 at 1/3rd its throw is the triangle LFO.  Its beyond counter
intuitive, and a HUGE step backwards in my opinion.  Its taking an
analog synth and forcing it into  DX7's skin.

As to reinventing the wheel....the point is it will be my wheel, and I made it.

Plus, I need something to do that doesnt involve typing on a querty keyboard.

Tony