music servers, remotes, etc..

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jul 27 12:10:07 CEST 2008

I didn't know the squeezebox had a remote interface. That is nice. Does it
allow you to search through collection and so on ?
I'm actually quite surprise by how little information about mediaservers and
audio PnP you can find on the internet google machine... it seems like a lot
of people should be interested but it's very restricted to a few companies..
although based on a standard.

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org]On Behalf Of Paul Maddox
Sent: samedi 26 juillet 2008 20:20
To: Music-bar <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Subject: Re: music servers, remotes, etc..

M,

> Anyone with a nice setup ? Ideally I would like to have only one machine
> running, even if I have loads of old lappy lying around, I'm not too found
> of having to boot things to listen to music.

I use my Squeezebox's (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html)
Load the software onto your OS (win, linux, mac) plug it into your network
and you're off.
It doesn't required anything other than to know where your MP3/AAC/FLAC/WAV
files are located.
It will work with iTunes, but doesn't mandate it.

I have two of these, one of them is the older type. And they're great. The
user interface is easy to use from the remote or via a webpage.

FWIW, I use a mac-mini with my movies and MP3s on, and it runs FrontRow for
movies and I use the squeezeboxs for music around the house.

Paul