channel strips

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jul 21 23:55:38 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM, punkdISCO <forums at punkdisco.co.uk> wrote:
> The only problem with going 'mixer-less' is: you always end up having to buy
> a mixer..
>
> PS: I have already decided to go mixer-less for the second time.  Just
> getting my head around what I need as a replacement.

There were three possible setups I had considered for this.  Either a
MOTU 24i PCIe (I would also need a new PC as my current one doesnt
have PCIe slots), a firewire based MOTU 828mkIII + ADAT converters (2
x Alesis AI3 or 1x Creamware A16), or an RME card + Adat converters (4
x Alesis AI3 or 2x Creamware A16).  The RME card also requires PCIe
slots.

The cheapest was the MOTU 828, but it uses firewire and my last
firewire interface from MOTU had terrible noise problems.  It picked
up EVERYTHING if you had the PSU plugged into it.  Buss powered, it
had no issues, but I am still a bit shy of firewire interfaces for
this reason.

The other two options are both pretty expensive.  The upside is the
I/O count is very substantial, and in the case of the 24i, very
expandable.   The downside is the cost - I need a new computer + a
heafty investment in the interfaces themselves.

The way I see it, if I could get a rock solid AD/DA converter +
channel strip combo I can get at least two channels of input and
output that absolutely rock.  I can deal with having my analog mixer
and patchbays while I am doing the writing and take two tracks analog
at a time when I am ready.

I find few products suited to my needs because I am a dinosaur who has
more gear than your average 8in/8out interface can handle.

Tony