That Korg PC/IF interface idea..

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 19 15:39:59 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> My eeePC may need a midi interface.
>
> i plugged my emagic mt4 in and it worked straight away, no driver
> hassles at all.

How much is that interface to buy though?
Even the most basic 'pro' midi interface is not cheap, not cheap to a
Scotsman anyway ;)
Even with 1 Midi out port (maybe split into a few shared connectors) you
could drive up to 16 synths stringed together. If I fiddle with the Host
interface commands, I can get two independent outs or even more if I can
get an open source serial midi driver.

> you can use the nice new USB->ftdi chips ..

The things I have use a similar chip, the CP2101 from SiLabs:

https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/CP2101_Short.pdf

It is f'ing tiny, about 5mm square and 1mm deep..
They only need two smt caps for a complete circuit, thus the board fits
in a USB shell, about 20mm x 12mm. I rewrote the device ID's so I could
use another cut down driver for it and changed it's name (so when
plugged in for the first time, it pops up with some expletives and lists
as an expletive device in dev manager. Because I'm a pro like that..)

:)