Some Linux Audio Hearsay

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 12 12:41:46 CEST 2008

A friend has been working for Interpol as their keyboard and
computer tech since last winter, and I finally got a chance
to meet up with him again in Dublin.  This was his first
proper day off since the European tour started, and he'd had
no opportunities to see the sights in any of the preceding
cities, so it was cool to show off the great things Dublin
has to offer.  It wasn't long before we found ourselves
talking shop, and he told me some cool stories about the
Interpol gig and what he's done at home for fun with Ubuntu
Studio.  Using that with WINE libraries, he has Cockos'
Reaper recording softsynths and an Echo Layla interface at a stable 2ms
latency.  It sounds like he didn't have to do anything
atypical to get it all working, which indicates that the
underlying technologies must be fairly mature, by now.

I'll have to give it a whirl; I like Reaper well enough, and
I don't use many ancillary programs with it, so it may well
be a solution.

--
Yours,
Niall.