Machinedrum mkI vs mkII

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 4 01:43:44 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 01:47:59PM -0500, James R. Coplin wrote:
> Is there enough of a difference in the two versions to really warrant
> consideration?  The extended patterns doesn't *seem* like a big deal but
> I've never used a MD.  Also, is the sound quality improvements enough to
> matter.  I've found one locally for $1100 but it's a mkI with the sample
> option.  I could scramble and move some gear to get it if that's a good
> price and the mkII is no big thing.
>
> Opinions?  Should I even bother? This is one of those pieces that since it
> came out I've thought I wanted but I haven't actually ever been able to sit
> down with one.  Talk me into or out of it...

If you're not in a rush, take some time to budget the cash
and get the Mk2.  These are the perks, weighted by
descendign significance, in my view:

1. Longer patterns.  Four-bar rhythms are sort of a
standard.  Not everyone will use them, but I think most
people will use them to effect the kind of beat we've heard
since the onset of rock and roll, or even the blues, in all
forms of popular music.

2. More sample RAM, more ROM and RAM machines.  It's easy to
fill the MDUW up with one-shots and loops.  The extra .5 MB
would go a long way.  I'm not sure I'd use all four RAM
machines, but then again, I didn't think I'd use them at all
when I first upgraded.  Now I love them.

3. Balanced outs.  My audio interface, mixer and outboard
all accept balanced gear.  It's nice to have.

4. Lower noise floor.  Noise hasn't been a problem with my
MDUW, but others have complained about it.  YMMV.

I still have my Mk1 UW, but when the funds come, I'll
upgrade.

--
Yours,
Niall.