SSD jumps down in price

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 2 17:35:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Joost Schuttelaar
<joost at joostschuttelaar.nl> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2008, at 17:23 , Tony Scharf wrote:
>
>> because the HD is going to be at idle a
>> lot of the time.
>
> Is it? I think that when I save a document or even visit a website
> some disk access will be done (e.g. put visited page in history) so
> the disk will never spin down?

It wont shut off, but it goes into lower power modes of operation.
Its not going to be constantly churning large amounts of data, like it
would in an application where it is streaming.

I have certainly, anecdotally, noticed that if I am doing streaming
operations on my laptop the battery runs down way faster than when I
am just doing some web browsing or working on documents.

Tony