SSD jumps down in price

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 2 17:23:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Michael Zacherl <mubar-03 at blauwurf.at> wrote:

> a question I asked myself some while ago: how often does the internal
> HDD o fmy MBP actually go into sleep mode/ do spin down/sit idle?
> The OS should handle this, but does this actually happen?
> Just wondering ...

Its an interesting question, and one that depends greatly on personal
usage patterns.  If your doing things that require a lot of disk
activity (audio, video, photoshop, etc) its probably going to give you
a great benefit.  If your doing work that does NOT involve a lot of
that stuff (writting word documents or writting code) then you will
see your battery life go down because the HD is going to be at idle a
lot of the time.

I will make a bet that eventually SSD will get better performance as
all the tweaks that have been done to HDs over the years start to be
implemented in that technology.  I just am planing to wait a
generation or two for that to happen.

Tony