Expressiveness (was Software vs. Hardware)

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 21:48:35 CEST 2008

James R. Coplin wrote:
>> Electronics "least expressive"? Whoah. I can't believe you said that in
>> HERE?
>
> I did and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.  Of all the instruments
> I've worked with, I've spent more time with electronic ones than anything
> else and I consider myself an electronic musician, not a pianist.

I am a pianist and not an electronic musician. It depends what you're trying to
express. All music is doing is expressing universal truths that give rise to
emotions. Some music does this by evoking emotions directly, as in classical
piano music, other music indirectly, as in Cage's 4'36 of silence. There is no
absolute measure, because all music depends equally on the performer and the
listener.

I know what you mean. Listen to Arthur Grumiaux' interpretations of Bach's
violin sonatas, and, yeah, it does feel like it's in a different dimension from
something really abstract, with no melody or beat.

But then, space travel. It ain't easy, but how you gonna leave the planet and
check out the rest of the universe?

Tony (HB)

[Hoping to listen to the PunkDisco remixes at some point but still kinda in
space...]