Expressiveness (was Software vs. Hardware)

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 18:40:38 CEST 2008

James R. Coplin wrote:
>> Some people like to learn to play an instrument with great skill, some
>> like to focus on composing music.
>
> Except this has changed or at least is different with electronics.
> Composers were still trained in an instrument and could play.  Not with
> virtuosity perhaps but obviously some did. Most "compositions" I've heard
> actually have very little composition.  Start loop 1, add loop2, etc. etc.
> It has become part of the "style".  I would make the same distinction that
> Jay has between composition and assemblage.

Well that belongs to the end of the scale where 'Yngwie' is at the other
end. While I generally don't find music there that interests me I won't
say that's always the case and I don't think it represents the average
DAW user.

>> For *me* music is about the emotion you create regardless of how
>> skilled
>> you are at playing an instrument.
>
> The skill is the creation of the emotional response.  I would agree 100%
> with you.  Don't mistake my opinion for a call for everyone to go back to
> conservatory.  Like I said I do consider myself an electronic musician, not
> a pianist.  I don't have the skill to be a pianist, I just know how to play
> piano. However, I would like to see more of us have an instrument that
> really knew how to get the most emotional content out of.

Ok, but that would only affect a part of your 'emotionality' regarding
the whole song. *What* you play is imo more important than *how* you
play it. Getting both right is of course better so learning to play your
instrument is of course a good thing.

But if you're starting to get into music, can't play but edit it to a
great track. Is that automatically not good? I don't think so.

> How long have most of us had our main, most emotionally useful synth?   Mine
> I've had for 20 years.  In fact, the instruments I really feel I can get the
> most emotion out of are the ones I've had for nearly 20 years.  I know
> precisely how they function, where the sweet spot is.  I could play them in
> the dark underwater. I have a real physical and emotional connection to
> them.  With the constant push for the new in electronic music, I think most
> miss out and don't stop to think that perhaps they need to develop a
> relationship with an instrument instead of just getting a new shiny every
> post NAMM season. This puts many into an endless cycle of searching for that
> sound when I suspect they already have the sound.  They just are not putting
> the time into creating a connection.  Some do, many don't.

Money is somewhat limiting here. I think many can't afford to own more
than one synth which forces them to buy a all-in-one solution, which in
my experience often gets you stuck after a while, looking at that new
shining slightly better all-in-one-thingie etc...

I bought my first own synth in 1988. It was a Korg M1. While I certainly
put it to the max I can say for sure that my tracks had been a bit
boring if I would have kept only that one. :)

The software-kiddies have it a bit different though. There you really
have to watch it and not succumb to GAS.

/Micke