Expressiveness (was Software vs. Hardware)

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 18:01:21 CEST 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:46 AM, Chris Strellis wrote:

>> Mine
>> I've had for 20 years.  In fact, the instruments I really feel I can
>> get the
>> most emotion out of are the ones I've had for nearly 20 years.  I
>> know
>> precisely how they function, where the sweet spot is.  I could play
>> them in
>> the dark underwater.
>
> My Yamaha CS-10 I've had for 23 years now and yes I could play it in
> the
> dark underwater, well some non-conducting fluid anyway.  Although it
> isn't a very complex synth. My hand automatically goes to the knobs
> that
> I need to change the sound to what I want without thinking.
>
> I could say the same for an SH101 or my Juno 106.  I haven't played a
> 101 for 10 years or so but I have played with one for 10 year previous
> to that.  The 106 I've had for a couple of years but is so similar to
> the 101 (no Env to PWM though).  I don't bother saving presets. It's
> in
> manual mode all the time coz I can always dial up the sound I want.

Time is good, but it's very much the instrument, because well there is
a reason you have kept that synth for 23 years :)

I feel like I can get more emotion out of my Sequential Circuits Six
Track than most of the other synths I have and it cost me $425 and
only has one knob :) but a very important mod wheel!