Expressiveness (was Software vs. Hardware)

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 16:22:16 CEST 2008

> Some people like to learn to play an instrument with great skill, some
> like to focus on composing music.

Except this has changed or at least is different with electronics.
Composers were still trained in an instrument and could play.  Not with
virtuosity perhaps but obviously some did. Most "compositions" I've heard
actually have very little composition.  Start loop 1, add loop2, etc. etc.
It has become part of the "style".  I would make the same distinction that
Jay has between composition and assemblage.

> For *me* music is about the emotion you create regardless of how
> skilled
> you are at playing an instrument.

The skill is the creation of the emotional response.  I would agree 100%
with you.  Don't mistake my opinion for a call for everyone to go back to
conservatory.  Like I said I do consider myself an electronic musician, not
a pianist.  I don't have the skill to be a pianist, I just know how to play
piano. However, I would like to see more of us have an instrument that
really knew how to get the most emotional content out of.

How long have most of us had our main, most emotionally useful synth?   Mine
I've had for 20 years.  In fact, the instruments I really feel I can get the
most emotion out of are the ones I've had for nearly 20 years.  I know
precisely how they function, where the sweet spot is.  I could play them in
the dark underwater. I have a real physical and emotional connection to
them.  With the constant push for the new in electronic music, I think most
miss out and don't stop to think that perhaps they need to develop a
relationship with an instrument instead of just getting a new shiny every
post NAMM season. This puts many into an endless cycle of searching for that
sound when I suspect they already have the sound.  They just are not putting
the time into creating a connection.  Some do, many don't.

James R. Coplin