eeepc and music software

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 12:00:30 CEST 2008

>> for sketching tunes?
>> Hm ...
>
> Yeah, and for experimenting with sound a bit. I don't want to use
> 20 different little progs to work with...

This is the typical process:

1. Open up my EEE PC.
2. Start up alsactrl and notice my MIDI interface hardware (emagic mt4
works seamlessly, no install necessary).
3. Start up seq24, note that it appears in alsactrl as a module.
4. Start up zynaddsubfx, amsynth, etc.  These also appear as modules
in alsactrl.
5. Make the connections from seq24 to my MIDI interface, so I can play
MIDI from the piano controller, then make connections from seq24 to
all the softsynths I've started.
6. Play.  Record new sequences in seq24, edit, mute, cue, etc.
7. Close the EEE PC.

8. .. come back later, open it up, keep playing.

Note: its Linux.  You only have to do all of the above once, when you
first start up the machine, then just leave it all running for months
and months.  That works!  ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan