Electricity question

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 30 01:34:19 CET 2008

Peter Korsten wrote:
> OK, this is driving me nuts and I need some pointers - specifically from
> people in the UK or Ireland ( or anyone who uses type G plugs and sockets).

G! has plug.

> I need to connect both a washing machine and a tumble dryer to the
> mains, but at present, there is only one socket in the washing area. So
> we can't use them at the same time.

I done this in my kitchen, but for a washer/dryer and a dish washer.
Also had to move many sockets from room to room and rewire lighting,
showers, plumbing etc..

> Now, in the Netherlands, you are required to have separate groups for
> the two, which means that the two devices are on different fuses in the
> fuse box.

Uhnnnn..

> But in the UK and, consequently, Malta, we don't use a spur mains
> system, and the fuse is in the plug. So you cannot compare the two
> systems, and now I'm wondering what the correct procedure would be. On
> the one hand, I would like the laundry to be dry, but on the other hand
> I wouldn't the house to burn down.
>
> So, what to do?

Generally, in the UK there would be a separate MCB in the fuse box for
certain things, but...

Don't panic.
What I did was check the cabling already installed was approx. rated
enough for the two utilities power together (written on them on the back
somewhere usually in Watts, P(watts)=I*V, I(current/amps) = P/V(your
mains volts))
The rough wire diameter will practically give you the amperage from
tables on the net. There aren't that many gauges. Typically, the elec.
cooker (if you have one) is separate in the fuse box, but the kitchen
utilities has just one 'spur' mcb, which should be enough to cope.
You would know if it wasn't, because it would keep tripping (mcb) or
burning out (old fuse) way before a fire took place :)

In my case, the wire already in place (to the washer originally) was
over specced for the newer appliances and so was the mcb in the box.
New washers/dryers/dishwashers are much more energy efficient than older
models too. Washing machines especially. Old ones had thick steel or
cast iron drums, which required fair amps to get going + the wet
clothes. New ones have very light drums and tend to use very efficient
stepper motor type drives afaik. I suppose it depends how old your house
is too.

I simply bought a short length of over rated (always above your calcs)
cable for the new spur (not that thick) and installed a new socket as a
spur from the original in the kitchen, using plastic trunking as a wire
feed. Cost: ?10.
It's kind of hard feeding wire horizontally through walls without making
a real mess, due to the vertical wood bits ;)

All this was hidden behind the new kitchen units and has been running
for years with no problems, both dishwasher and washer dryer are on at
the same time very often.

Of course.
I write all this advice, but seldom I feel the need to follow it all ;)