Controller suggestions

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 29 00:08:09 CET 2008

K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:
>> Could you build it yourself? The electronic part is quite simple
>> thanks to the Arduino community, integration into Max simple enough.
>
> I guess I could. Do you have more good leads? the Doepfer site has

Not really - I'd just google for arduino and see where that takes you.
In terms of technical details, the forums linked from arduino.cc are
quite comprehensive yet understandable for people without an engineering
degree. If you need advice, give me a shout - I'm not an EE, but managed
to do some cool stuff with the Arduino without spending too much time.

There are also ideas to be found when look up the NIME archives
(www.nime.org) - there were some rather bizarre but clearly
inspirational performances when I was in Paris in 2006.

> We have a huge ANT mixer (TRS800), similar to this image, minus the
> patch-field on the left: http://english.wiesbaden.de/touristik/kurhaus_congress/technik/Tonmischpult.jpg
> , with lots of spare faders -- I was thinking it might be sort of nice
> to build a controller out of those loooong faders?

Fun, certainly. But what would the audience get out of that? Faders and
"visual performance" don't really go together in my book, but I'd be
glad to be proven wrong...

Have you thought about using machine vision? You could track IR targets
or use the silhouette of a performer to drive effects. That could make
for some nice visible playing if you've got a reasonable dancer.

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch