Drunk and Fuggin' Around on the Machinedrum

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 28 00:49:56 CET 2008

Elektron's Machinedrum User Wave does a lot of things well,
not least time and timbral manipulation of external audio
signals. This has been capably demonstrated by Allerian and
other users, but I never got around to using it as a
resampling/glitch box until I had a few drinks in me this
evening. Here are the results:

Taking Chain Reaction By Strategy:
http://syncretism.net/snd/misc/Taking%20Chain%20Reaction%20By%20Strategy%20%7bA%20Machinedrum%20Demo%7d.mp3

Well, before you download, a few caveats are in order:

It runs a bit long, and is by no stretch of the imagination
a "song" - it's just a beat, with occasional mutes and a lot
of tweaking of the external signal.

All of this was realised with headphones, so I have no idea
how it will sound on speakers - bass, reverb, levels,
anything goes. It may sound like shit.

This was recorded to my Sony HiMD through miles of cables.

I did got a little overboard with the retrigs. Sorry.

Lastly, the audio is Alan Moore, interviewing Brian Eno for
the terrific BBC radio programme, "Chain Reaction". I left
some of the unprocessed signal in for awhile, but that can
be muted {as it is later in the track}.

I had a lot of fun doing this, and I can see a lot of input
processing on the MD in the future.  Look out, Tony, we're
gonna be a glitch band!

--
Yours,
Niall.