Invented Music?

Don't thread on my tentacles, Earthling! EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 26 09:14:03 CET 2008

Le 25 janv. 08 ? 23:52, Larry Pham a ?crit :

>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_geometry
>
>   The discovery of the relationship of geometry and mathematics to
> music within the Classical Period is attributed to Pythagoras, who
> found that a string stopped halfway along its length produced an
> octave, while a ratio of 3/2 produced a fifth interval and 4/3
> produced a fourth. Pythagoreans believed that this gave music
> powers of healing, as it could "harmonize" the out-of-balance body,
> and this belief has been revived in modern times[1].

Save it's a little bit more complicated than this and the
mathematical scale just doesn't work. Putting in equations organ
pipes dimensions (still not done in a general and elegant way, it
just doesn't work, latest attempt I knew of was from a retired
engineer from the EPFZ who is on it for 20 years?) or the unlinearity
of a well tuned piano are a bit outside of pythagoras?

Not to say, maths applied to make Bach copycats do ugly things.

BTW, aren't a bit now beyond scales and harmony? ;)

Let's keep some mysteries in the world, it brings poetry out of it.

Denis H]
Signature is dead, get over it.