Prophet '08 module

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 19 02:00:49 CET 2008

I had an Andromeda and sold it.  I traded it for a Virus TI desktop +
some cash (a good trade, if you ask me).  Unfortunately, its made me
quite unpopular among the Andromeda supporters..

Anyway, It was the complexity of the andromeda that shew me away,
coupled with my growing love for the PEK.  Creating a sound on the
Andromeda was an immense undertaking - not because it was difficult,
but because there were SOOO Many parameters, and it was hard to find
the sweet spot.  I mean, what synth other than than the andro has a 3
knobs for pitch? (one was in steps, one was in cents, and one was
100ths of a cent!).  The PEK and Virus are more immediate, imho.  and
with as little time as I have to dedicate to studio time, thats an
important point.

Now to the next point.  The signal path on the P08 is identical to the
PEK with the digital parts taken out (no HP filter, no output hack and
no delay line).  the P08 also gained an arpegiator and some additional
sequencer triggering modes.  That said, I have heard that the P08 was
tweaked to deliver a more 'analog' tone and to sound different than
the PEK.  I have not gotten to play one yet, so I cannot comment on
that.   I am going to be going up to Milwaukee to Novamusik next month
and I am hoping they have one out that I can actually play with and
asses.

one note about the PEK and bass:  it can be harder to find its sweet
spot with bass sounds.  Its definitely more of a lead/fx type of
synth.  I can also get some monstrously sweet pads out of the thing,
which is supposedly another one of its weak points.

The PEK has its own thing going, and its definitely a synth that takes
some time to master its quirks.  Its worth it though.