Production question

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 11 10:50:19 CET 2008

Gorman, Declan wrote:
> dynamics of the sound I don't want it to drown out every thing else.  I
> presume I should be using a compressor but as I'm still getting to grips
> with compressors I am unsure as to what settings to use.  I could be
> wrong so please correct me if I am.

Don't use a compressor. This boosts the lower volumes as well as
crushing the peaks.
Use a limiter and/or turn the track down a little, or even better,
adjust the velocity of the offending notes or draw some careful volume
lines (presuming you're in a software sequencer). Maybe even adjust the
synth patch (if it's a good synth, have the volume or velocity
modulated/affected inversely by the filter frequency (or filter freq
Controller) so as it opens up, the volume reduces slightly) Probably too
much that last one :)

A compressor, used badly, will just squash everything up into a squishy
flat cowpat of a synth line. The temptation to create squishy flat
cowpat synth lines is too much for anyone born after 1970 sadly ;)