8-core Mac!

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 10 19:38:19 CET 2008

> I think I see one in my near freelancing future. I'm curious to see
> what happens with the combo of these machines, Leopard, and Adobe CS3
> in multiprocessor/core support. As far as with in 1 application, like
> say after effects using 700% of processing power for a task, like a
> render. Right now on my Quad with tiger CS3 Aftereffects tops out at
> about 260% processor use in a render(that takes about 2 hours to
> complete.) I'm curious if the program is limited to something like
> that, or with a 8 core machine i would see a huge increase processing
> power for a task like this.

i don't think it'll be huge, its just that you'll consider doing more
with it.  consider this: moores law means you may one day, really,
inevitably, one day look upon 8-core machines with utter reproach for
those who are dusting them off and trying still to do stupid things
with them .. man, i gotta say though, how incredibly huge a
difference it means to compile/build-times, when you can throw 8 very
fast and well-connected machines at it .. thank holy tepis for
cscope.out, coz the src/ tree is gettin' laaarge!

;
--
Jay Vaughan