8-core Mac!

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 10 11:07:54 CET 2008

Andy,

Andy Tarpinian wrote:
> render. Right now on my Quad with tiger CS3 Aftereffects tops out at
> about 260% processor use in a render(that takes about 2 hours to
> complete.) I'm curious if the program is limited to something like
> that, or with a 8 core machine i would see a huge increase processing
> power for a task like this.

Have you enabled multiprocessing for several frames in the options? (so
it renders several frames in parallel, as opposed to throwing all CPUs
at one frame)

But anyway, I can only speculate: I am not sure if Aftereffects uses
several threads per effect process. Otherwise, there might be
dependencies within the processing graph that reduce performance (e.g.
some effects must have finished rendering before it can process a new
one). There might also be disk access that slows things down.

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch