Production question

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 10 10:24:05 CET 2008

Gorman, Declan schreef:
> Hey all,
>   I am re-visiting a track that I made a while back and have a question
> regarding one aspect of it that is bothering me.  The main synth line
> which is prominent throughout the track drowns out a lot of the other
> sounds when the filter is opened up and while I still want to retain the
> dynamics of the sound I don't want it to drown out every thing else.  I
> presume I should be using a compressor but as I'm still getting to grips
> with compressors I am unsure as to what settings to use.  I could be
> wrong so please correct me if I am.
>
> You can download the track from here ->
> http://www.degomusic.net/mp3/dego/dego_Rev_It_Up.mp3
>
> Cheers!

Some remarks:

1. Drowning out sounds by other sounds
seems to be rather common these days. I
think it started with Daft Punk.
First I thought it was ridiculous, but
now everyone seems to be using it. What
might have seemed  a mistake at first,
has grown into a trend quickly. Although
I feel it's already a bit old now. Even
Madonna does it...;-)

2. That synth line you are using, is
using up more or less the complete level
and frequency bandwidth. If you don't
want it to drown out other stuff, you
can basically do one or more of the next
3 things:

* take the level of that sound down for
god's sake (hehehe...;-)
* take some of the frequencies away that
can also be found in other sounds (low
end, hi mids?)
* use compresion on the sound itself.
This will always make you lose some of