8-core Mac!

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 9 20:23:59 CET 2008

Andy Tarpinian schreef:

>> I think I see one in my near freelancing future. I'm curious to see
>> what happens with the combo of these machines, Leopard, and Adobe CS3
>> in multiprocessor/core support. As far as with in 1 application, like
>> say after effects using 700% of processing power for a task, like a
>> render. Right now on my Quad with tiger CS3 Aftereffects tops out at
>> about 260% processor use in a render(that takes about 2 hours to
>> complete.) I'm curious if the program is limited to something like
>> that, or with a 8 core machine i would see a huge increase processing
>> power for a task like this.
>
> p.s. the render shows it using 45 threads and 1.50 GB of real memory
>
> this machine is a 2x 3 Ghz dual core Xeon w/ a NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
> (512)

Hmm, running more than four threads on a four core machine is a bit
useless... all the context switches will just slow it down.

Sun have a CPU with eight cores, where each core can run eight hardware
threads. That means, 64 hardware threads. Yea! But they are only good
for integer stuff, so no luck for rendering.

Which brings me to the question: how many floating point units does the
Xeon have per CPU?

- Peter