deliberate pumping

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 26 01:24:30 CET 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:03 AM, Gert van Santen wrote:
> As far as I understand it's done by
> using side-chain compression on (mostly)
> the bass, where the sound of the kick is
> used as input for the compressor.
> Ableton live has a very nice side-chain
> compressor, btw. There's also some
> Youtube tutorials on it. Very
> interesting :-)

Yup! That's what I was doing on a recent piece (still working on it).
I used the bass sound (sort of a drone) and fed it into the sidechain
of the compressors for some high pitched sounds (with high ratio).
This intensifies the impression of rumble without just going loud and
deafening.
But it's hard to adjust and if the mix changes slightly I've to start
over doing the compressor settings again.