12.1 & Audiences

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Feb 23 18:23:06 CET 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Martin Naef wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> Michael Z. wrote:
>>> The recording itself is first order ambisonic - meaning 4 channels
>>> represent the sound field. At work, I play it back through a
>>> calibrated
>>> 12.1 speaker system,
>>
>> sweet!  I'd like to listen to this!!  :-)
>
> Come to Glasgow then...

is there a deadline?  ;-)

> It does sound pretty sweet indeed, but it's hard
> to describe. We don't have any demos that "show off" the 3D audio
> effect, but mostly real ambisonic recordings or simulations (anechoic
> recordings with convolution), but it's really quite an experience as
> you
> really feel like you were sitting in the audience.

how big is this place where you're listening?

>> The 12 speakers, how are they set up/situated?
>
> Imagine 3 levels: Ground, ear height, and ceiling. Each with 4
> speakers.
> Ground and ceiling have front, left, right, back, whereas the ear-
> level
> is rotated 45 degree, giving front-left, front-right, back-left,
> back-right. All speakers are set up at an equal distance to the
> sweet-spot, although the playback system does compensate for some
> differences. Then there is the sub.

what speakers are used and what's the rms output of the speakers/amps?

>> On what did you put the recording?
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean.

better, how and with wat equipment did you do the recording?

> I recorded the concert on an Edirol
> R4-Pro (four channels).

so you needed 3 of them synchronised via SMPTE?
(I had to look up what that is)

> We play it back through Max/MSP, so there's a PC
> driving the playback - so the recording sits on a harddisk.

what interface(s) do you use for playback?
what about the sub channel? Hows that extracted?

>> For instance in a concert with the Klangforum Vienna usually it's
>> so quiet
>> you could hear a pin drop. But then again, they do (rather) funny
>> pieces
>> as well which causes quite different reactions in the audiance.
>
> Well, I like to see a reaction to the music - but that's quite
> different
> from the rustling and shuffling...

yup. But then (once) again, it depends on the type of performance.
I certain cases absolute silence (in the audience, Mr. Korsten ;-)
means a lot of attention as well, which I consider a good thing.

Thanks for answering all that questions!

   :-)  Michael.

--
no comment: http://blauwurf.at