RPM08 Mastering?

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 11:09:45 CET 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Gert van Santen wrote:

> Of course adding reverb is (as far as I
> am concerned), not something I often do
> when mastering. The whole trick of
> mastering is - in my eyes - making a
> track sound better, without making it
> sound different. Oh, well...

hehe ...
After sleeping over it I came up with a simple statement:
It all depends!
If you want to get rid of a flat sounding, noisy radio recording and
want to please your ears do whatever is necessary.
In an joint effort like RPM a contributor has to reckon that there
will be measures taken to make a whole of the single pieces.
if it's important to a particular work to sound in a certain way its
creator has to take care of it to achieve as much originality as
possible in the given context.

>> Furthermore that's a reason why I consider the mastering of something
>> like the RPM titles not an easy job!
>>
>> On a side note, today I asked Eric to digitise my "Oxygen" vinyl for
>> me (I don't own a turntable) in order to be able to hear the
>> differences of the mastering.
>> (I wasn't able to listen to it for a very long time, but own several
>> CDs and the recent "Live in Your Living Room")
>> I explicitly asked for an untouched, uncompressed version just that
>> what came from the record player's pre-amp through the A/D-converter.
>> I'm pretty curious what's the result going to be!
>
> Tell us what you think :-)

yup!  ;-)

   Michael.

--