RPM08 Mastering?

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 01:27:02 CET 2008

Michael Zacherl schreef:
> On 20.02.2008 22:10 Uhr, Gert van Santen wrote:
>> Michael Zacherl schreef:
>>> which leads eventually to a different release, IMHO.
>> I don't agree with that. A song that is
>> tighter, more balanced and probably a
>> bit louder, is still the same song to my
>> ears.
>
> in terms of whisteling the same melody line?
> yes. Soundwise? no!
> I'd say that heavily depends on the genre. That's it.
> Same measures don't work on every type of sound and music, that's the
> point I think.
> We are talking about an compilation album.
> If all the tunes came from a single hand/group fitting them probably
> would be a much easier task.
> my 0.02c.

I would be interested to have a
mastering session with you and see how
(if) our opinions really differ.

>> ...which might mean that some overall
>> reverb must be added...
>
> help!!  ;-)

Example. I had a cassette tape from 1982
or something. A radio concert from The
Cure - great concert, but the tape was
old, there was a lot of hiss, and the
sound had become almost monophonic.
I used denoising, some EQ, compression,
limiting, and in the end I added a
little reverb to give the whole thing a
bit of a wider sound. Now it's an
excellent CD. It even sounds better than
the official Live album from 1983.
But to me they are still the same
tracks. They just sound way better than
before...