GenoQs Octopus

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 14 22:40:51 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:34 PM, S?ren Knudsen <soren at audiomind.dk> wrote:
> >From looking at the pics, it seems to me that looks has been favored in cost
> of less good usability. Consider the trackrows for instance. There's no easy
> way of telling the 16 buttons apart - the human visual system cannot do that
> afaik. 16 buttons are simply too much. It's all just the gestalt laws....
> When they seemingly made that mistake, I won't start to think about what else
> they've flunked.
>
> But it certainly looks incredibly cool. But the price, god dammit:!
>
> .Soren

This was exactly my impression when I first heard about it - it was
beautiful, but it looked far to complex.

Now that I have watched the videos, read the SOS review of it and have
spoken to a few users, its actually aparent to me that it is NOT that
complex at all. Not any more complex than anything else I have used,
and in someways more straight forward.  It requires learning, but its
more of an instrument that streams out data rather than sound.

The cost is high, but it is a very finely crafted instrument.  I am
also pretty certain of its long term longevity, as the OS has already
been released as open source (though I dont know of anyone who is
doing anything with that yet - its only just been released).

I am trying to find someone near chicago who has one I can try out, or
on my LA trip in a couple weeks Ill try to go to Analoge Haven and try
one out (they apparently have one on the floor).

Might be an interesting trip.
Tony