update horror...

komatos EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 11 16:57:03 CET 2008

On 2/11/08, Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at chello.nl> wrote:

> Software is not the only thing that can
> make you crazy while trying to do an
> update. Today I was working with my
> Jomox Xbase 999. I wanted to update from
> 1.20 to 1.30.
>
> I have been working on it for at least 3
> hours (on my PC). I used several MIDI
> interfaces, software programs and
> cables, checked the net - all to no avail.
>
> So I thought - way too late, of course -
> why not try this on my Mac Powerbook?
> 5 minutes later the job was done.
>
> Not trying to start the old MAC vs PC
> war here. I use both PC and MAC, and I'm
> happy most of the time. But I'm still
> wondering what went wrong...
> --
>
> :-)
>
> G e r t  v a n  S a n t e n
> www.gertvansanten.nl
> www.myspace.com/pbalris
> www.waveworld.tv

If it was like my old RS7k then you'd be able to have the OS update on the
media the device supports (a .PGM file on SmartMedia in that case).  That
way you don't have to worry about any possibility of a bad MIDI device or
driver bricking your hardware.  I'd be afraid to update the OS of any music
gear I had with my cheap MIDI interfaces I've used in the past.

--komatos