Trying my best

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Feb 8 16:04:10 CET 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 5:49 AM, Jay Vaughan wrote:

>>> live really rocks when you pair it with faderfox boxes.  without
>>> such
>>> external hardware, for me, i found that live is a bit too mousey/
>> I have an 03D which has a programmable midi remote function I never
>> use.
>> 19 assignable faders (with real 1 digit accuracy, tested)
>> 38 buttons, I think there are latching options...
>> Can I use this?
>

> Definitely.  Click the "MIDI Learn" button in the upper right of the
> Live screen, and move a slider/press a knob for whatever interface
> element you want to control.  IMHO, this little MIDI button is one of
> the most under-used features of Live, but it makes a huge difference
> to your flow if you spend some time setting it all up for session use
> in Live.  Frankly I couldn't stand using Live until I spent an hour
> getting it under the command of some hardware control surfaces ..

This is true, when I had put together a little live setup with the:

-padkontrol pads set up to trigger clips and the knobs and trackpad
for live's effects control
-a kore setup with a couple synth sounds split across a midi keyboard,
and the kore controller knobs

it was quite fun. Though I have trouble translating this to how it
would work for writing a track, vs. playing with one.