1TB drive : Inevitable

komatos EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Feb 6 01:51:45 CET 2008

On 2/5/08, Joost Schuttelaar <joost at joostschuttelaar.nl> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:21 AM, K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:
>
> > Have any of you Macusers been able to get CCC (carbon copy cloner) to
> > reliably and incrementally back everything up automatically?
> >
> > it has always failed me and Timemachine (10.5) feels like such a
> > wonderful thing, even though I feel like I *should* have been able to
> > wrestle CCC into compliance...
> >
> > I use an external 500GB LaCie tfor TimeMachine and it works really
> > well. Today for the first time Timemachine told me that the drive is
> > full but that it erased the older and redundant backups in favor of
> > new stuff and that I should get more space if I wanted to prevent that
> > from happening in the future...
>
> I prefer to use Disk Utility. Boot from an external drive with OS X
> installed onto it. Do a full disk image of your entire disk.
>
> CCC scares me.
>
> --
>
> Joost Schuttelaar
> The Hague, NL

Ditto for me.  Another vote for Disk Utility.  It's free, it comes with the
operating system, it's simple and easy to do a full (bootable) backup.  I
don't have Leopard yet (no $, not enough features to justify buying it, and
Classic support being totally discontinued).  Time Machine isn't my thing.
Even though it does incremental backups, they are NOT BOOTABLE.  So what
happens if your internal HD goes south.  You're totally shit outta luck
until you can afford a new internal HD.  At least with my external FW HD
with complete bootable backup I can plug that in and continue as normal
until I can get a new internal HD for my Mini (should it ever die; I hope
not for a long time).

That reminds me, my last backup was in December.  I need to do another
monthly full backup soon, just to be on the safe side.

--komatos