The Man From Earth

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Dec 28 00:20:50 CET 2008

> His description of religiousity in the US and that atheists are almost
> persecuted was a bit of a surprise to me. I didn't think religion had
> such an effect on the american society.

My experience was that in California this is the case, but beyond that
border .. watch out!  It is shocking just how far extreme things have
gone with the wacky religious stuff in the USA.

> Sure I know religion is
> important to many in the US but I didn't think that a political career
> would be nearly impossible if you're a non-believer. What's your
> view on
> this, is he overstating the effects?

I'd say its accurate.  Too many at-home Moms with their TV-evangelical
love affairs, and many other aspects of society in the American bubble
reinforce this factor.

> I also liked Idiocracy but you have to look past the 'comedy makeup'
> and
> find the irony. Some of the one's I recommended it to just thought it
> was silly :)

Yeah, it is pretty silly, but like so many movies in America, its made
for Americans to understand and absorb - not the rest of the world.

;
--
Jay Vaughan