Open Source Guitar Pedal

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 28 15:54:54 CEST 2008

> Just read your entry regarding mp3 quality, and I have to say I'm rather
> surprised that you heard such a big difference between the MP3 and the
> FLAC. I wouldn't doubt a difference, but on an IPod with background
> noise on the street???
>
> It would be interesting to re-encode with the same bitrate from the FLAC
> files and then listen again.

Well, although encoded by Mr. Reznor crew, the mp3s where only 192k and
of course, at that rate, there is a huge difference. The FLAC where a
lot more spacious too... unless you mean the mp3's could be off from the
FLAC version ?
The idea behind the post was that even a guy like me that does
appreciate music subtleties goes with the flow and continues to listen
to dreadful version even tho it has perfectly baked version handy abd
already paid for. I find it kind of scary. It's like if I went to mc
donald's to eat every meal.

> What I find even more interesting though is the comment regarding
> availability of 96k files etc. I was under the impression that today's
> music quality isn't so much limited by the distribution medium (CD), but
> rather by the production "values" - read overcompression and limiting
> until the ears are bleeding.

These days the distribution medium *isn't* the CD anymore. You think
naturally so because you know people rip cds to put them online. But a
studio render should be now the source of it all. And propose perfect
quality files done at the source, not by distribution robots. I'm kind
of surprised that even CD quality downloads are kind of "hard to get" in
online stores and if you think that the delivery medium is getting
incredibly cheap and that size doesn't matter anymore why isn't anybody
try to make the digital deliver a "better" rather than a "lesser"
medium. Am I too elitist thinking so ?