Digital electronic design resources?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 28 08:49:08 CEST 2008

> This may be a bit of a long shot, but I was wondering if there's
> something that teaches you how to design simple boards like the
> Arduino,
> without having to do a course.

Look for the book "Electronic Circuits for Evil Geniuses" .. and the
rest of the series.  Awesome stuff, and I learn a lot every time I
read a few pages (in the loo) ..

Of course, you would also learn a lot just by *getting* an Arduino, a
breadboard, and some bits and bots, and assembling the devices
yourself ..

> I understand digital signals (it's the only course at university
> where I
> actually had a decent mark), but what I don't understand is why there
> should be a resistor here or a capacitor there.

All good electronics kits explain to you why you need such things as a
tie-down capacitor and whatnot .. but the absolute best way to grok
this is to do it yourself, and read along as you do so ..

> So... how difficult is it to learn such a thing?

Learning isn't the hard part.  Doing it is.

;
--
Jay Vaughan