Toys

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 26 17:18:59 CEST 2008

Hi Paul

Paul Maddox wrote:
>> That would need some modifications - Arduinos are clocked at 16MHz, and
>> currently limited to 16k of code (there's an upcoming ATmega though that
>> will increase code space that should be pin compatible).
>
> the main reason it's clocked at 20Mhz is due to the video refresh rate.
> As for the lack of code space in the Arduino, I thought you could just
> download the boot loader and load it into any AVR?

I'm sure you could, with a few modifications to account for the chip
(e.g. different clock frequency).

> The thing I like about the Arduino is the IDE on the mac, though I'd
> like to see a 31250 baud rate on their debug interface.

It's funny how different people see different things in the Arduino. I
like the hardware with all the things I need for quick prototyping (e.g.
USB) but don't care so much about the software environment.

> If you can download their bootloader then using the same IDE for any
> fAVR based project should be easy. I'll admit it's not something I've
> looked into, but I will do soon.

I'm pretty sure one could make the IDE talk to another AVR, although it
might need digging a bit. But since it's all open source, it should be
easy enough to do.

Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch