cool .. make your own monome controller ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 21 00:29:05 CEST 2008

Martin Naef schreef:

> Well, it will certainly reduce a few of the worst excesses. Yet my own
> DIY experience tells me that $100 don't get you very far if you can't
> buy the parts in bulk and don't have access to a fully fledged workshop
> (hey, even a decent front panel sets you back more than that unless you
> have your own CNC and engraver...).

Remind me again what a CNC machine costs. :)

> Others mentioned the time already. Those willing to spend $2000 on a
> controller are either professionals who'd rather spend the time earning
> money than building kit, or hobbyists who consider the $2000 as
> disposable income, don't really care about the money, and rather make
> music than build something...

To give a comparison: for us it makes economic sense to have a maid.
Since both of us earn more per hour than she does, we're better of
spending x hours working than x hours washing clothes and cleaning the
house.

> There is an increasingly exciting place for DIY, but I don't see it
> threatening commercial hardware anytime soon. It's an activity to be
> creative and to have fun, to do things *differently*.

And perhaps come up with an entirely new idea...

- Peter