cool .. make your own monome controller ..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 20 11:07:22 CEST 2008

Jay,

Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Serioulsy, I doubt it. Maybe in 10 years.
>
> You think people will be happy paying >$2000 for a knob-box they could
> have built themselves for $100?

Well, it will certainly reduce a few of the worst excesses. Yet my own
DIY experience tells me that $100 don't get you very far if you can't
buy the parts in bulk and don't have access to a fully fledged workshop
(hey, even a decent front panel sets you back more than that unless you
have your own CNC and engraver...).

Others mentioned the time already. Those willing to spend $2000 on a
controller are either professionals who'd rather spend the time earning
money than building kit, or hobbyists who consider the $2000 as
disposable income, don't really care about the money, and rather make
music than build something...

There is an increasingly exciting place for DIY, but I don't see it
threatening commercial hardware anytime soon. It's an activity to be
creative and to have fun, to do things *differently*.

Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch
http://www.myspace.com/navisto