Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 11 00:31:00 CEST 2008

Sjaak de Vos schreef:

> Scientific revolution - longer lifespan...
>
> Or is that a bad thing....

Hard to say. I saw a documentary once, about people (scientists and
others) trying to prolong life, or even become immortal altogether. To
me, it sounds very egoistic, even though the prospect of death and decay
is something I don't like to think about.

For example, in this documentary they had a couple that had decided not
to die. Bit like you decide no longer to eat meat. And sure enough, they
looked very good for their age, but it was a bit surreal.

The best bit about this program, though, was the last minute. It was a
scene in France, where an extended family was having a meal outside.
There were all generations, including the old, wrinkled grandmother. So
they asked one of the young men about this whole thing, about the
extension of life and staying young for a longer period: "Wouldn't you
want your grandmother to be beautiful?"

The reply was: "But she *is* beautiful."

And don't forget that for hundreds and hundreds of millions of people on
this planet, a longer lifespan could be achieved just by having access
to clean water, decent food, proper healthcare and absence of war.

- Peter