channel strips

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 8 02:59:12 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 04:05:11PM -0500, Tony Scharf wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with the channel strips that are out there?
>  I was particularly looking at the SSL Xlogic Alpha Channel.
>
> suggestions?

So, do you want a DI, Pre and EQ combo?  The Safe Sound
Audio P1 has a DI, Pre, Compressor, Expander and Limiter {a clever one
at that} and they're all mostly transparent.  It used to be
an absolute steal for 650 USD or so, but the weak dollar has
pushedthe price to about 850 USD.  For that price, there may
be some other options, but I strongly recommend that you
audition it.  It's a killer deal, even at its current price.

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Safe_Sound_Audio_P1_Preamp_Compressor_Expander_Lim_p/1901.htm

Otherwise, the sky's as limited as your budget.  I'm /this/
close to pulling the trigger on a Great River pre, but I've
come around to the API lunchboxes in a big way.  This really
seems like the way forward - customisable, portable and
possibly cheaper, eventually.  Seems a no-brainer!

--
Yours,
Niall.