Test

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 8 00:20:50 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan schreef:

>> I also don't bother with pop.  I just use the gmail interface or in
>> some instances imap.  It works really well, and I am certainly not
>> hurting for storage.
>
> Until you can't log into gmail.

What prompted me to switch my e-mail forwarding from my ISP to GMail is
that yesterday, the Go (formerly Maltacom, the former state telco) cable
in Catania, Sicily, was damaged. Probably the Maffia was getting rid of
a body and accidentally hit the cable. Vodafone's cable was obviously
still working, so there was a bit of glee there when Go had to come to
us for connectivity. And sod my ISP for not having redundancy.

Anyway, mails again didn't arrive. This was understandable, because
there was no connectivity, and if you totally rely on a single cable of
a single provider on an island, you're stuffed. And my ISP has sometimes
problems with its servers, too. Sometimes, the DNS servers cut out for a
while, at least I think that's what happens. All connectivity is lost,
except for things like Skype, funnily enough. Sometimes it won't send an
e-mail, and then you retry and it works.

All in all, I think Google is a tad more reliable. Yes, they probably
have a file on me by now that the intelligence services would be envious
of, but that's just the way it is.

And Romain's original e-mail, about his eight new songs, never arrived
in my mailbox. I suspected my ISP at first, but I'm afraid it's the
e-mail forwarding again. And that sucks big time, because I've already
ditched Go Daddy for exactly that reason, because they have this
non-working blacklist spam filter, to which they kindly added my work's
e-mail server so that I couldn't even send e-mail from work to home. I
even bothered to ring them, but the customer 'care' representative was
such a total ass, that I have strong suspicions that he has a pervasive
development disorder and the social skills of a thermonuclear device.

So... let's see how things develop from here. Hopefully, there won't be
any dropped e-mails any longer.

- Peter