New Bike

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 7 19:53:37 CEST 2008

Andy Tarpinian wrote:
> Got one of these,
> http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst.htm

It looks like the standard road bike.

Someone dumped a 'racer' round the back of my place a few weeks ago.
It's from about 1980 and a Halfords cheapo, but has had quite a few mods
done along the way with many parts swapped out with Weimmann and French
bits that look older than the bike itself. It is a 5 speed with custom
bottom bracket, cranks, a bigger chainwheel and a Middleman Saddle
(leather was malformed but I fixed it) Usual drop handlebars. Nearly all
parts are very, very sturdy and fully serviceable, not like the
throwaway junk sold today (old man syndrome showing...)

I just finished it today, apart from a pair of cotters I'm waiting on.
Spent less than £30 doing it up, tyres, chain and the cotter pins.

Nearly all rust disappeared (left some for character) with some wire
wool (shiny shiny) and everything was disassembled and greased. The
wheels were horrible, but some tweaks on the spokes removed nearly all
kinks and wobbles completely. The only thing wrong now is a slight bend
in the rear axle, but that might be a tricky fix and is only a few mm.

It's a fairly heavy bike, about the same as my hardtail MTB, but that's
mostly the overly solid parts and steel frame.

Should last another 30 years, hehe.
I love free(ish) stuff.

All I need now is for some freak to show up at the door with the cops
asking for the bike back...

;)