flickr and such

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 5 18:16:21 CEST 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Gert van Santen wrote:

> Michael Zacherl schreef:
>> On Aug 5, 2008, at 1:49 PM, M-.-n wrote:
>>
>>> For Photo posting, I quite like Flickr I must say. I keep mine "just
>>> there" and I'm not trying to include them in any other framework
>>> (blogging/fb/..) so it's fine by me:
>>>
>>> ( http://www.flickr.com/discodirt )
>>
>> two things I don't like so much:
>>
>>  - I can't change the l colours
>
> Of the pictures? Or the UI?

LOL, the UI ;-)

But maybe the "pro" can?

>>  - and I'm not under control of the content and it's respective
>> rights
>
> What do you mean?

well, admittedly it's "just a feel of comfort" ...
I'd feel better if that gallery ran on my private box (at least a root
server) rather than on something big like flickr.
I just can't name it :-/
I know it's crazy - I just can't help myself than putting it this way.

On a more rational level it doesn't matter, I think:
   - On my server it's still online (of course), images are open to
everyone with the proper access privileges - like on flickr
   - Copyright exists here and there, no issue.
   - My data is as save on flickr as on my server. Software flaws are
everywhere. At flickr I'd not be in charge for that -> saves time.
   - My server wouldn't be part of social networks - but I could
reference to it from other nets, if I wished so.
   - I could style the layout and handling absolutely freely on my
box, then again I don't have that much time to do so.
   - My server is a dust particle on the Net, like my gallery would be
on flickr (and the like) - so where's the point?

>> what I like:
>>
>>  - I don't have to care about the software and the interface gets
>> better and better (some exceptions though)
>>  - I can refer to it from other social networks like facebook easily
>
> If you've got an iPhone there is a great app called "Mobile
> Fotos" which is made for flickr and is just really awesome for
> checking flickr pictures.

nice!

>> I'm not sure if I would put up private stuff like family feasts
>> etc ... on a private server yes, something like flickr - no.
>
> There are options to give certain sets a password.

hm, should take this into account.

> BTW, here's my flickr site:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbalris/sets/

so you're posting the photos on flickr as well as on your site?

hmm ...

    ;-)  m.

--
hear the colours of noise: http://blauwurf.at