Presonus Studio Live

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 5 17:14:20 CEST 2008

I had looked at it, but what keeps me away is the following:

1. 16 channels only...unexpandable
2.  Firewire
3.  Really just too big.

If I get a mixer, I need to have at least 24 channels on it.  Really,
I hate having to deal with my patch bay.   It just sucks the life out
of me.

Despite lots of evidence to the contrary, I dont trust Firewire.  I
had a MOTU Ultralite for a while and it was OK, but had a LOT of noise
problems if you didnt run it buss powered.  My laptop couldnt provide
buss power, so it was useless there and I sold it.  It was probably
just my faulty unit, but it still left me nervous of firewire audio.

Its freaking huge.  I dont know how I would fit it on my desk with a
keyboard, and my drum machine.

Another fact is that the Yamaha 01v96 is only slightly more expensive,
and offers full DAW integration via Studio Manager, a Firewire IO
option, and the ability to upgrade to 24 channels via an expansion
option.  I am glad to see someone actually making a digitial mixing
desk to compete with the Yamaha, but I dont quite think that (at this
price point) they are really competing that well..

Tony