filter morphs?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 5 15:15:22 CEST 2008

Michael Zacherl wrote:
> Right now I'm toying around with Ableton Live's sampler, which has got
> a morph filter.
> I experience lot's of crossfades between the signals of the different
> filter types which isn't that much exciting to me.

> Or I just don't get it ... ;-)

The only way to do these crossfades in the analogue domain is (vactrols
excepted) by VCAs which introduce some distortion AND noise, and these two
factors lead to artefacts that are further emphasised by mixing circuits that
are not particularly hifi themselves (though much lower noise and distortion
than VCAs). Compare it to the digital domain, where none of these kinds of
distortion or noise are present.

Trust your ears :)

Tony (HB)