filter morphs?

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 5 01:34:58 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:24:38AM +0200, Michael Zacherl wrote:

> Right now I'm toying around with Ableton Live's sampler, which has got
> a morph filter.
> I experience lot's of crossfades between the signals of the different
> filter types which isn't that much exciting to me.
> Or I just don't get it ... ;-)

The Sunsyn's filter allows you to set the cutoff for each
pole, so it's possible to have a 6, 12, 18 or 24 db/oct filter
with full resonance {hence, self-oscillation} and varying
slopes.  Furthermore, each pole can be set to high or low
pass with a combination for bandpass, and you can also
deactivate two poles for a 12 db/oct filter, though I can't
remember if that setting sounded very different from the
four pole with poles 3 and 4's cutoff wide open.  Anyway,
it's quite flexible, and a setup can be stored as one of two
scenes in a morph.  From the manual:

The Morph-Feature
There.s only one more filter feature to explain, and that.s
the Morph feature.This feature
offers the possibility to morph two completely different
filter settings (or snapshots)
continuously and dynamically into eachother. All of this
happens (as with all of the SUNSYN.s
features) exclusively in the analogue domain.

The following features are affected by the Morph feature:
. VCF parameters: Cutoff, Resonance, Filter-Amount, Pole 1-4
and the High/Lowpass settings
(exept on pole 4).
. Envelope 1 parameters: Attack, Decay and Sustain

Try it out by loading a single sound, changing the filter
settings and saving the edited version
into a filter Scene.The morph-knob let.s you morph between
both settings.This is a very
handy tool during live-use! You only need one knob to change
all relevant filter parameters.
Of course the morph knob can also be driven by a midi
controller or by the modulation
wheel.

--
Yours,