Matrix

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Aug 3 14:47:01 CEST 2008

Hey Tony!     (found that one in the archive)

On Aug 2, 2008, at 5:34 PM, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:

> Hey Michael!
>
> Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Paul Maddox wrote:
>>
>>> I must have missed part of this conversation.
>>>
>>> Are you trying to build a filter like the oberheim Xpander?
>>> Where you chose from one of 16 different types?
>>
>> The Xpander's 16 types are a bit of a compromise due to restrictions
>> of the CEM3372 used in the Xpander (I love this synth, BTW!).
>> But that was the starting point ...
>> This thing should be much more generic, not only used for filter(s),
>> but could be part of sort of an uber-filter, if someone wishes that.
>> So that it could be used as a stand-alone module/unit or as part of
>> something else.
>> Basically a large µC-controlled network of VCAs.
>
> My thinking on this, right now, is get an ordinary matrix, like the
> VCS3, ignore
> issues like programmability, crosstalk, etc, and just get it working
> quick.
> Screen all the wires to and from, and just get patching.

Tony, you're right!
(this thread is a bit late as I replied to Paul's question)

Whilst I really like pondering over such ideas I feel the pressure to
get things going.
So _a_ solution which gets me making sounds with newly acquired
components is welcome.
I'm already in the process of evaluating the Ghielmetti matrices and
also less flexible solutions with ordinary rotary switches.

> You can always work on
> the übermatrix, while having fun with all those modules, crosstalk,
> and the rest :)

One thing what I'm interested in with this "übermatrix" is morphing.
While storing the setup is a nice thing (esp. with filters, where I
could instantly recall some fancy filter type) to literally modulate
the entire configuration is much more tempting.
But maybe I find something else ...

While conceiving some other solution I noticed one intriguing thing:
While performing on the synth (where in my case a patch certainly
isn't something static) in many cases I have to break a connection in
order to route the same signal to another destination.
That's not the case on old synths like the VCS3 or newer ones like the
Vostok which use a matrix system.
Just insert a plug, there you go ...

Thinking ...

   ;-)   Michael.