gonna make some music...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Aug 2 14:19:52 CEST 2008

Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> MMS is just e-mail where the telco can charge per message. For the
> consumer e-mail is superior. It is free, it is widely used and it is
> more flexible.
>
> E-mail is here and not going away. MMS came in and got a bit wider
> support on the mobile platform than e-mail (just for sending pics
> though). As soon as most phones support decent e-mail it will go again.
>
> I've only once received an MMS. Which was from you, and I couldn't
> read it. My MMS-supporting SE K610EM just told me that I had to visit
> some web page and log in. Hmm.

Was that last week? It was just before the Duran Duran concert. It's
probably because it's an international MMS and our system doesn't know
that your phone supports MMS.

All in all, a very nice story, but what you're leaving out is that
people on the whole don't have e-mail addresses in their mobile phones:
they have mobile numbers. And the amount of people that will actually go
and bother to sync their mobiles to their computers will always be
marginal. It's a geeky thing that you and I do, but the majority of
people don't.

> I think the only reason MMS is used at all today is to send pictures
> taken with the phone and only because the interface on most phones is
> not easy enough to do it by e-mail.

And because most people won't have e-mail addresses in their phones, and
aren't going to have them any time soon either.

- Peter