Phonic mixer update

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 22 10:39:09 CEST 2008

> On a different port I have two hard disks. It seems removing these
> enables
> it to work.
> What's wierd is, last week, I didn't have too remove them, it worked
> with
> them attached just fine.

Yeah, this can be an issue.  Firewire arbitration can sometimes
'deadlock' - one device says it needs priority on the bus, another
does the same, and suddenly, because the priority flags cannot be set,
none of the devices work (though in the case of disks, I think they
often ignore it..)

> Currently plan is to get a fw800 bilingual cable, attach the hard
> drives
> to that, and leave the fw400 buss free for my mixer.

Yes, that would be a viable solution.  In my experience, its always
better to put audio firewire devices on one leg of the buss, and disks/
cameras/etc. on the other ..

> I have to say, of late apple have dropped considerably in my esteem,
> not
> only because of their software but because of their hardware (my
> wifes g4
> ibook had a manufacuring defect, my mighty mouse was utter pants (dead
> within 6 months) and a lots of other 'little' things that just point
> too
> pure sloppiness in terms of quality control.

I can understand that, truly, as I'm on my 3rd macbook by now and this
will be my last .. I'm over the Apple thing, I think Linux has caught
up in bounds and even in some ways exceeds OSX (Linux audio is
awesome, just plain awesome, and you can't beat having the source for
that awesome, either, available freely and easily) ..

> Anyway, rant over, my appologies.

Its good to know you worked it out .. lets hear about it again when
things settle down and you've got a permanently working rig ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan