Name that tune - solved

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 12 22:01:33 CEST 2008

So there is this Italian song from the eighties, where I've spent over
20 years trying to find out what it's called.

So yesterday, I actually found out it's called "I treni di Tozeur",
which means "The trains of Tozeur". Tozeur turns out to be an oasis/town
in Tunisia, and the song was Italy's entry to the Eurovision Song
Contest in 1984.

There's quite an extensive Wikipedia article about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_treni_di_Tozeur

The original video:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4PthV0GxTQg
It doesn't look anything like Tunisia, though.

Their performance at the 1984 ESC:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=BV2BED1hAOk
I recognise the props, this was held in the Netherlands...

And whereas the drum line is rather clich?, the way the lyrics are
spaced, and how the female vocal continues what the male vocal was
singing, is quite interesting. There's also a short line (in German)
sung by three female opera singers.

In fact, the Wikipedia article has a whole section on the composition of
the song, and it's fair to say that it is one of the most intricate
songs ever to enter the ESC. So obviously, it didn't win. :(

Anyway... after 24 years, the search is over. Some of my colleagues
aren't even that old... :)

- Peter